Melba Opera Trust scholars and alumni continue to make waves internationally. From local opera houses here in Australia to roles in touring productions across Europe, if you’re planning a trip, chances are you’ll catch one of our own on a stage near you. Here is a selection of recent worldwide highlights from the extended Melba family.
- Earlier this year, Emily Edmonds performed the role of Kate Pinkerton in Madame Butterfly at Covent Garden.
- Sophie Yelland can be seen singing in the chorus of the Royal Opera House.
- Samuel Sakker has been touring all over the UK as Mario Cavaradossi in Tosca.
- Lauren Fagan made her debut with the Welsh National Opera as Musetta in La Bohème, and embarked on the Mediterranean Opera and Music Cruise with Renaissance Tours with our own Artistic Advisor, Sharolyn Kimmorley AM. She also recently performed at the International Opera Awards at the London Coliseum in recognition of Renata Scotto’s Lifetime Achievement Award.
- In Poland, Alexandra Flood performed at Opera Krakowska and gave an outstanding televised performance in the Netherlands. She also performed Maria in West Side Story in Bolzano, Italy.
- Also in Italy, Robert Barbaro performs regularly in Modena at the Pavarotti Theatre.
- Siobhan Stagg has had a robust calendar of engagements across Europe, including Opera de Dijon in Paris, the Grand Theatre in Geneva Switzerland, Dutch National Opera in Amsterdam, the Cologne Philharmonic, and with fellow Melba, Samuel Dale Johnson at the Deutsche Oper Berlin.
- Brenton Spiteri has been performing with the Opera de Lyon, France.
- Shakira Tsindos will travel to Sicily to sing the role of Dorabella in Cosi Fan Tutte at the Mediterranean Opera Studio and Festival.
- Alumni’s Rebecca Gulinello and Morgan Balfour are studying respectively at the Academy of Vocal Arts, Philadelphia and the San Francisco Conservatory of Music.
- Robert Barbaro recently performed opera favourites with the Heidelberg Choral Society in Shanghai, China.
- Current scholar Daniel Carison made his international debut with the Malaysian Philharmonic as Papageno in their concert production of Die Zauberflöte.
- Current scholar, Damian Arnold, recently traveled to Tel Aviv to study at the Israeli Opera Studio with distinguished coaches from The Metropolitan Opera and the Deutsche Oper Berlin.
- Countertenor Nicholas Tolputt recently performed in Barrie Kosky’s production of Saul, for State Opera of South Australia.
- A number of notable performances have taken place at the Sydney Opera House, including Stacey Alleaume’s role debut as Violetta in Opera Australia’s production of La Traviata, Zoe Drummond and Michael Petruccelli in Sydney Opera House: The Eighth Wonder, also for Opera Australia, and Shauntai Batzke in Pecan Summer.
- Also at Sydney Opera House, current scholar Zoe Drummond made her title role debut with Opera Australia in their musical/operetta production Two Weddings, One Bride. Alumnus Michael Petruccelli performed in the chorus.
- Jeremy Kleeman is an artist with Opera Australia’s touring and out reach program.
- Alumna Stacey Alleaume is currently singing the role of Michaela in Opera Australia’s production of Carmen in Melbourne.
- Current and past scholars Zoe Drummond, Shakira Tsindos, Timothy Newton and Jacqueline Porter starred in Victorian Opera’s Sleeping Beauty.
- Fiona Jopson performed the role of Leonora in CitiOpera’s Il Trovatore.